Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summertime Blues

    by Beth

    My son had big plans for this summer. Having recently graduated high school, he planned on making the most of the last three months spent at home before going to college over 600 miles away. He had a full-time job and even worked more than enough over-time (a great opportunity to sock away money for college *g*) He and his girlfriend planned to head up to Lake Erie a few times and he had plenty to do with his friends - baskeball, street hockey, video games, graduation parties. Throw in a few family outings, picnics, trips to the drive-in and him wanting to spend time recording songs and his summer schedule was packed.

    And then he came down with Strep throat. I mean, the worst case of Strep I've ever seen. His throat was so bad, even the physician's assistant grimaced she saw it. And it wouldn't get better. On his second trip to the doctor, a blood test revealed the reason why: Not only did the boy have Strep but, joy of all joys, he had Mono, too!

    There went his summer :-)

    Okay, not his entire summer, but a sizable chunk. Luckily, after spending a few weeks on the couch, he's feeling better and is back to work.

    This reminded us of one of our favorite children's book: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation. The Bear Family set off on their vacation with all sorts of plans: They're going to fish and swim in the lake, eat delicious berries as they hike the trails and relax in a lovely, quiet cabin. Except...things don't go quite as planned. The cabin is a dump with a leaky roof, the lake is a muddy mess and there's nothing to eat *g*

    I have to admit, I know how both my son and those bears felt. My own plans for a sunny, romantic honeymoon didn't quite work out. Yes, it was sunny. Too bad I got too much sun and ended up with sun poisoning. And then I got a rash from being stung by some sort of sea creatures. By the time we left, I had a cold, too.

    Oh, and did I mention I got motion sick on the plane ride and my husband had to hold the airsickness bag for me? I still feel bad for the guy on the other side of me who tried very hard to lean away from the sick woman :-)

    Have you ever had your summer, a vaction or any other plans derailed in a major way? How did you make the most of it?
    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2010/07/summertime-blues.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com