Friday, February 18, 2011

None So Blind

    by Caren Crane

    Lately at the dreaded day job (henceforth known as the DDJ), I have had occasion to speak with (or about) a number of customers who claim they have no knowledge of a certain service in which their business was enrolled. A free service, mind you, and one which saves them money. Still, a small number are miffed they "didn't know" about it (intentional use of quote bunnies) and it made them see red!

    Now, letters were sent. Two letters, as a matter of fact. Before the service was implemented, each of these customers was also called and, if they answered the phone, were asked if they knew about the service and if they wanted it. If no answer, a message was left. In any case, they received yet another letter when the service was activated. Still, they claim no knowledge.

    Which has made me think that the old adage "there are none so blind as those who will not see" is certainly true. Now, at my house we don't answer the phone unless we can tell it is a person or business with whom we wish to speak. If it is a telemarketing firm or one of those anonymous phone numbers, we tend to let the machine pick it up. We figure those who really need or want to speak to us will leave a message. We listen to messages, though, so we can't claim we didn't know they called.

    I vividly remember the days before cell phones and caller ID. Heck, I remember having a rotary dial phone. We picked up the phone when it rang. We had no e-mail or internet, so the mail was a major source of information. We read mail, even junk mail!

    These days we are bombarded with information all day long: calls, texts, e-mail and advertisements on the TV, radio, billboards and even subliminally on our TiVos. I suppose it's no wonder customers are claiming they "don't know" about services, despite efforts to inform them. If they are anything like me, they don't want to know!

    I'm about ready for another information vacation. Although it would mean missing things I love, like our fantastic blog or e-mail from my Banditas, I like to disconnect and give my brain a break sometimes. Not this weekend, though. I'm with you guys today, then my husband and I have to fill out a heinous financial aid form (the dreaded CSS Profile) for my older daughter on Sunday. I do have Monday off, though. Maybe I'll take a break then and do my favorite commercial-free activity: read a great book.

    Are you ready for an information vacation? Ever find it hard to disconnect from your phone or computer? Had a bout of information overload recently? Ever go cold turkey (either on purpose or had it forced upon you)? I'd love to hear how you regain head space and reboot your brain!
    __________________________________________________

    We have an AHA Go Red for Women pin for one commenter today.

    The healthy heart tip for today is: Instead of frying foods – which adds unnecessary fats and calories – use cooking methods that add little or no fat, like stir-frying, roasting, grilling or steaming.

    And just in case you missed it...

    Sign up for the Go Red Better U Program and receive two free romance e-books.

    From Feb 1 through May 31, 2011, receive one free romance e-book when you sign up for the American Heart Association's Better U Program and one after you complete week six of the program. And look for the Eat Smart for Your Heart limited edition magazine (that features this offer) on newstands and in a grocery store near you.

    Go Red for Women is trademarked by the American Heart Association, Inc. Romance novel downloads provided by Belle Books.Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2011/02/none-so-blind.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com