Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rain, Rain, Please Stay

    by Tawny

    Ahhh, the rainy season is here.

    It's pouring outside right now. This is our first rain in our new house and its really interesting to listen to the sound of the rain pounding on the skylight, to watch it play out against the backdrop of the redwoods outside my window.

    Rain is definitely one of those things you appeciate more from indoors, isn't it? Although I do have to say, I'm ever-so-grateful for whoever designed the darling raingear for outdoor wear. Have you seen some of the clever boots that are out now? Oh man, I love the edgier rock-star ones. I'd wear them anywhere (actually I'm thinking of making rainboots a standard fashion statement, worn with jeans, leggings, skirts- indoors and out. My daughters are concerned and asking not to be seen in public with me if I do, but I think it could catch on. What do you think?)

    Maybe it's my natural inclination toward footwear, but while I'm all hot for the boots, I'm sort of 'eh' over raincoats. Yes, I realize there are some really chic and fashionable ones, but I just can't get into them. Maybe if they made cuter ones for adults, like they do kids?

    But despite my current obsession with rainwear, I'm unfortunately always -ALWAYS- without an umbrella. I don't get it, I own them. Every season I buy at least one new one. But I can never find them - especially when it's raining. So while my feet are comfy and dry, I usually show up wherever I'm going with wet hair.

    These are, I'm sure, along with miserable traffic, the reasons that rain really is an indoor delight (and yes, the reason I'm trying to make cute rainboots an indoor/outdoor fashion statement). Indoor rainy days are simply made for cuddling. For quiet pursuits like crafts or baking. Or best of all, for reading. I hear the rain hitting the windows and my fingers actually twitch for a book. Like Pavlov's dog, I'm trained to read in the rain.

    There's nothing better than spending the evening curled up next to the fire, with the rain pounding away, a hot toddy or hot buttered rum and some deliciously decadent baked treat next to me while I lose myself in a wonderful romance. Or, if my daughter is reading with me, reading aloud Harry Potter or Percy Jackson along with some popcorn (or caramel corn if I'm feeling super indulgent) and hot cocoa. I'll even settle for an afternoon with my laptop, writing my own romance while sipping iced tea (what can I say, it's a year-round addiction) and nibbling on something healthy like fruit.

    The time of day, the drink of choice and the snacking deliciousness are all interchangeable. But it's always about the story, the rain and the deep feeling of relaxation.


    How about you? Do you like rainy days? Are they reading time for you, or do they inspire some other form of entertainment? What's your favorite rainy day reading treat to snack on?

    And seriously, don't you think cute rainboots could be an indoor fashion statement? Really?????
    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2009/10/rain-rain-please-stay.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com