Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween Tricks and Costumes


    by Jo Robertson

    Halloween isn’t really an official “holiday,” but you wouldn’t know that by the antics of high school and elementary students during the week of the big event. They come to school dressed in all kinds of getups and engage in all sorts of antics as they prepare for the Big Day.

    I always got a kick out of my seniors getting in the spirit. Since they were high on some kind of pre-Halloween candy anyway, I figured I’d try to turn the holiday into a learning lesson.

    Orson Welles’ classic radio broadcast of HG Wells' “War of the Worlds” went over like a lead balloon.

    Tron-Gen Kids don't believe that people actually committed suicide or took to the hills with their cars loaded with emergenc
    y supplies because they believed aliens from another world had landed on earth. I mean, listen to those special effects sounds. Pretty hokey compared to what today’s whiz masters can produce.

    I tried using Alfred Hitchcock’s film “The Birds” based on a Daphne du Maurier short story as a writing springboard. The movie terrified me as a college student. Probably because someone let loose a frightened bird into the dome-ceilinged old theater and scared us all nearly to death. Talk about crying "fire" in a crowded room! I passed birds very gingerly for a long time after that.

    What worked fairly well happened during the years I taught drama in addition to English and had a stand-alone classroom that literally had no windows. I could close the doors and create utter darkness. Mawhahaha, so conducive to Halloween antics!

    I held a flashlight under my chin to give my face an eerie cast in the pitch black room. Then I read Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart,” all the while fingering several squishy, wet, seeping items on a covered plate on the desk in front of me.

    At the end, with the narrator’s words, “'Tis the beating of his hideous heart!” I flung off the cover and lifted several pounds of raw liver into the air.




    Oh yeah, that should’ve gotten me fired.


    But my favorite part of Halloween is the costumes!


    One of the most interesting costumes I’ve seen was when my daughter and her husband dressed as golf balls (right). How clever!


    Children are cute no matter what costumes their parents put them in.






    Power Rangers Sydney and Max rule! They jumped off a balcony and pretended they died!








    One year, Annie was a butterfly and Max was Ash from Pokemon. Tweenie Corinna decided rhinestone cowgirls are fun. Or maybe she's Brittany Spears!


    Cutest cheerleader ever!



    Of course, Darth Vader (Jake) is popular any time.











    This year's most popular Halloween costumes, according to those in the know, are dead celebrities, kinda macabre, but I'll bet we'll see a lot of Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett costumes.







    The spike (pun intended) in interest in vampires with Twilight, True Blood, and The Vampire Diaries should give us a lot of child and adult vampire costumes this year.



    It's always so much fun to wear those pointy incisors, you know!

    What about you? What's the most interesting or favorite costume you've ever worn? Or favorite Halloween trick or experience?

    A $15 Border's gift certificate goes to the person with the most original sounding costume, scariest or funniest Halloween experience, or best Halloween trick.



    Mwahhhhhhhaaaaaa, and let the games begin!




    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2009/10/halloween-tricks-and-costumes.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com