Sunday, October 17, 2010

Monday Musings...

    posted by hackey hudjson

    We writers live closely with the concept of "What if." It's the device we depend upon when we create our stories and characters. A method we employ to assist our creativity.

    Perhaps my close alliance with "What if" is what leads me to contemplate the serendipity in life.

    What if I had chosen Box #1 instead of Curtain #2?

    Would I be better off? Or worse?

    What if I had taken that left turn at Albuquerque?

    Where would I be today instead of where I am?

    Unfortunately, in real life, we don't usually get a "do over." But part of the beauty of fiction, both reading it and writing it, is that YOU DO!

    Plenty of books and movies use the "do over" technique to full advantage. A couple of my favorites are the Back To the Future series and Peggy Sue Got Married. Plus my favorite "do over" books are the Outlander series.

    I also especially loved the hour glass contraption Professor McGonagall gave Hermione Granger to allow her to go backward in time and take two or more classes simultaneously. I could have definitely used that a few times! Like everytime I've watched a really bad film or read a disappointing story and I wish I had those hours of my life back to spend more productively...

    Sorry, I'm afraid that's a side-effect of too much "What if" -- my mind tends to wander. That's the only explanation I can come up with as to why I thought about a very strange poem when I sat down to write this blog:
    The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams

    so much depends
    upon

    a red wheel
    barrow

    glazed with rain
    water

    beside the white
    chickens

    I remember being forced to read and study this poem when I was in high school, and I thought it was the dumbest poem ever written. Now, after all these years of contemplating, playing with, and being exposed to "What if" I see all kinds of possibilities in this little ditty.

    "What if" the wheelbarrow is the only way to carry sandbags to the levee, which is in danger of breaking because of all the rain?

    "What if" the wheelbarrow is actually upside down and the chickens have a nest under it, and eggs are the only food source left?

    "What if" those chickens are causing me to channel the GR?

    See what I mean?

    What is your favorite "do over" book or movie?

    Do you ever wish YOU could have a "do over" and what would it be? Would you try to change an historical event or keep it on a personal level?

    What's your take on The Red Wheelbarrow? Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2010/10/monday-musings.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com