Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tee nyah kuih

     This 'kuih' is typically 'hokkien' and it is time that i talk about my heritage as hokkien 'lang' after being branded as a 'macau sai' by my paternal grandmother cos me and my siblings do not speak our 'mother tongue' that well or rather not at all. We spoke our Mother's tongue, cantonese, but it should not be our Mother's tongue but my Grandma's - Ah Po, who is cantonese. There was once when i was asked by my Ah Ma to tell this hokkien guy who came to look for my Ah Kong - 'ie kee liao pee la lui lee eh au pit'  - hokkien guy seemed to understand what i said, while i myself took a long time to figure out what i said.  Can any of my 'hokkian lang' readers tell me what i said?. 

    This kuih is a speciality and will appear on the table of hokkien families during hokkien festivals.  My one and only Ah Koh, made the best tee nyah kuih and i would like my Ah Ma and Ah Koh to be proud of me by making this kuih although mine is not as good.




    Ingredients:

    1 lb rice flour
    2 tbsps tapioca flour
    1/2 tsp borax/ pang sar (optional)
    2 tbsps potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution
    2000 ml/2 liters water
    1 ½ tbsps cooking oil
    1 tsp salt


    Method:

    Combine rice flour, tapioca flour, borax, potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution, salt together in a microwave-safe bowl. . Add in the water, a little at a time, to prevent lumps. Give it a good mix before adding cooking oil and stir well and make sure borax is  dissolved.

    Cook in the microwave until a very thick consistency, stirring after every intervals.
    Pour in a greased 9 inches round steaming tray and spoon the 2 tablespoons of tap water over surface of kuih.

    Steam kuih over rapidly boiling water for one hour.  Replenish water if necessary.  To prevent condensation, wrap steamer cover with a large piece of cloth(using a bamboo steamer is the best).

    Test for doneness with a wooden skewer(lidi) pierced in the centre,  It should come out clean.

    Cool kuih for a couple of hours before slicing.

    Serve with Hong Bak or Red Cooked Pork or Tau Yue Bak



    Serves
    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2010/03/tee-nyah-kuih.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com