Sunday, July 12, 2009

Life As A Twin

    by Joan Kayse


    The Banditas welcome Inspirational author Renee Ryan back to the Lair.

    First off, I want to thank Joan for inviting me today. I will be giving away three free copies of my latest release, HANNAH’S BEAU, throughout the day so leave a comment.

    When I thought about what I wanted to write today, I knew I wanted to focus on something pertaining to the one question I get asked the most. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR IDEAS?
    Great question, always hard to answer because the short answer is usually: I DON’T KNOW. Seriously, this is the one question most writers dread. At least, this writer dreads it. Because, quite frankly, the ideas come from everywhere. And nowhere. Often what starts as the initial story idea changes and morphs into a completely different version.

    In the case of HANNAH’S BEAU I knew I wanted to give her a twin, but I didn’t know what aspect of having a twin I wanted to explore. You see, I have a twin sister, a wonderful, gracious, talented woman who inspires me. Like all twins, we have a unique connection that transcends the miles between our homes. Robin will often call me and ask, “Are you having a headache?” Whereby, I’ll respond, “How did you know?”

    Our voices are exactly the same. When we were younger we used to fool people on the phone all the time. Odder than that, we’ve shown up at events wearing the same outfit, even though we didn’t call one another to coordinate. Spooky, right? Or, kinda cool…
    Yet as I started writing HANNAH’S BEAU, I wondered what it would be like if the twin sisters didn’t get along. What if the fact that they looked identical didn’t transcend to a close relationship? What if one used the other, or one took the blame for the other’s transgression?

    Now that would be spooky.

    So, that’s where HANNAH’S BEAU begins. With twin sisters who don’t have that fabulous bond you’ve heard so much about. Hannah is the stronger of the two, thereby taking on her weaker sister’s transgressions. This misguided “enabling” becomes toxic, and a vicious cycle begins -- to the point where Hannah is run out of her father’s house for something her twin sister did.
    For the record, Hannah is modeled after my sister. So, does that mean the “bad” twin is modeled after me? I certainly hope not. Unfortunately, I found myself empathizing with the woman a bit too much at times.

    So, what about you? Any sibling stories come to mind? I’d love to hear your stories.

    Renee Ryan writes for the Steeple Hill line Love Inspired Historical. You can read more about her at: www.reneeryan.com
    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2009/07/life-as-twin.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com