Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer Vacation

    by Christie Kelley







    The kids are done with school now so it’s officially summer vacation time. We live in a wonderful neighborhood that has access to a tidal river that feeds the Chesapeake Bay. In our common area, we have a spring fed pond for the kids to swim and white sand surrounds it. Without a doubt, it is the perfect place to spend a summer. Now that my youngest is 12, he can go down to the pond with a friend (as long as a lifeguard is on duty). He did it for the first time this week. It felt really strange letting my “baby” go. But it did free up my time for work so I was happy.



    When I was growing up, my cousins had a heated in-ground pool that we usually had an open invitation to come over and swim. My father would take care of their house and pool while they went away for a month every July. So we would go swimming every day that was nice. But to this day, I wonder why they would have left their house for a month when they had a great place to spend their summer.



    Summer for me was hanging out usually with a great book to read. It wasn't planned and organized with camps and other things to do except for our one week family vacation to the beach. I see so many kids that are in camps from the first week of vacation to the last and wonder if they really enjoy their vacation from school. But I was lucky that my mom worked for the school system and had summers off. My kids are lucky because both my husband and I work from home so they can choose a camp if they want to but aren't forced into it. My oldest is going to a college for a computer game design camp for a week and my youngest is taking afternoon sailing lessons. Both sound like fun for them.



    In addition, this summer the kids are going to my mother’s house in upstate NY for a week while my husband and I spend 10 days in Italy. Now I just have to figure out things for them to do while we’re gone so they don’t drive my mother crazy.



    So if you want to be in the drawing for a copy of Every Time We Kiss, tell me about you summers as a kid. What are your plans for this summer? Extra credit for ideas to keep the boys from driving my mother crazy!







    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2009/06/summer-vacation.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com