Monday, June 1, 2009

Jennifer Haymore -- Three's not Always a Crowd

    by Christine Wells

    Joining us in the lair today my good friend, Jennifer Haymore, whose new release A HINT OF WICKED is taking the historical romance world by storm!

    Jennifer and I first 'met' online when we were both members of the same critique group. I still remember how excited I was when I first read her work and it's no surprise that today, Jennifer's first historical romance for Grand Central Publishing is flying off the shelves.

    Jennifer, welcome to the lair! Pull up a cabana boy--ahem, I mean, chaise longue--and tell us a bit about A HINT OF WICKED.

    A HINT OF WICKED is a spicy historical romance about Sophie, a woman who’s spent seven years mourning her husband lost at Waterloo. She finally marries again only to have her first husband return less than a year into her new marriage. She’s legally bound to her first husband, her second husband is appealing to the courts, and she’s completely torn between the two men.

    What inspired you to write this story?

    The core idea for A Hint of Wicked was my husband’s—I use him as a sounding board and a brainstorming partner all the time. The story, however, has developed quite a bit from his original “vision,” which was of an enraged husband catching his mourning wife in bed with another man. I latched on to that scenario and ran with it…but I don’t think I ran in the same direction he envisioned for the story! I guess that’s my prerogative as the writer .

    I remember when we found each other on an online critique group -- we were both yet to be published. I still recall the vivid picture you painted of your setting, rich with historical detail. When is A HINT OF WICKED set and how did you go about researching the period? Is there any interesting fact you unearthed that you'd like to share?

    A HINT OF WICKED is set in the spring of 1823 in London. While I was writing the book, I became addicted to Google books (www.books.google.com). There’s nothing quite like a source written in the same time period you’re writing in. I now have an extensive, organized Google books library filled with books written in the early 19th century about everything from medicine to fashion to travel and architecture and dinner menus. The rather bizarre cure for opium overdose in A HINT OF WICKED is taken from these texts!

    The dilemma your heroine Sophie faces is one many women would like to have--a choice between two very sexy men! But of course, it is a wrenching decision for her. Can you explain a bit about the appeal of each man and the appeal of the "two guys and a girl" storyline generally?

    Mmm…the appeal of Garrett and Tristan? Easy!

    Garrett: Sophie’s first love, possessive, a military man & leader, rough & dangerous, loyal, quiet & keeps to himself, blue-eyed and muscular, has always loved her

    Tristan: Tall, dark and handsome, loyal, charismatic & charming, refined & aristocratic, a leader, treats Sophie as an equal, wants to protect her & has always loved her

    I think it’s a common woman’s fantasy to be fought over by two wicked & sexy men. I’m not sure the reality would be so great, but the fantasy…yum!

    Best of luck with A HINT OF WICKED. I'm sure it will be a huge success. What's next for you?

    A TOUCH OF SCANDAL picks up four months after A HINT OF WICKED ends, and it’s due on the shelves in April, 2010. It’s hard to talk about ATOS without revealing spoilers for AHOW, but I will say that it’s the continuing story of the “losing” man from the first book. Most of the characters from the first book make an appearance, and Lady Rebecca, Garrett’s younger sister, plays a key part in the story’s conflict. The third book in the series (currently untitled) is Rebecca’s story.

    Sounds fabulous, Jennifer. Looking forward to reading it!

    OK, here we go...Please tell our readers 3 quirky things about you.


    1. I love to watch my son play baseball, but my nerves get so tied up in knots that I usually have to turn away or close my eyes when he’s pitching (otherwise, I might throw up!).

    2. I’m a terrible loser (just ask my husband, whose gotten playing cards thrown into his face more than once. In my defense, he tends to gloat obnoxiously when he wins…).

    3. I turned in a book to my editor at 3:00 a.m. this morning!

    Yay, double congratulations are in order!
    And now, for our contest...Jennifer wants to know, given just the descriptions of Tristan and Garrett above, who would you choose and why? The prize is a signed copy of A HINT OF WICKED!

    Jennifer and I are running a Wicked Contest together. For more details, please check either Jennifer's or my contest page.Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2009/06/jennifer-haymore-three-not-always-crowd.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com