Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Let it Snow,

    by Christie Kelley

    Let it snow, let it snow.

    What is it about Christmas that makes me snow crazy? About 10 days before Christmas, I start watching the forecast to see if there's any chance we'll have snow. (Yes, I checked yesterday and will today too.) Now in Maryland, we only have about a 25% chance of a white Christmas. But I still hope it will happen.


    As I was doing laundry yesterday, I suddenly wondered why snow and Christmas? Where did this idea come from that we need snow to make it look like Christmas? I had to find out (otherwise known as procrastinating the deadline book). Being the internet geek that I am or as my husband calls me, the internet queen, I set forth to discover why Christmas and snow go together. Along the way, I found a fantastic website called whychristmas.com. If you have a question about Christmas, they probably have the answer.

    According to whychristmas.com, people associate snow with Christmas because most of our holiday traditions come from Victorian England. During the early 1800 and into the start of Victorian times, we were still in the Little Ice Age. So it was common for England to have snow and even for the Thames to freeze.
    Then there are also the songs related to snow and even the Dicken’s book, A Christmas Carol. Now we all know why we associate Christmas with snow.

    Growing up in upstate NY, we had some awesome snow on Christmas some years. When I was a teenager, we went to church on Christmas Eve. It had just started to snow as we walked inside. By the time we came out and hour later, 3 inches of snow was on the ground. It continued to snow all night and by morning we had about a foot. Since I had no place to go it was fantastic.

    Even in Maryland, we sometimes get snow. About five years ago, we had just finished opening packages and realized something strange was going on. We looked outside and saw the biggest snowflakes I had ever seen. They looked to be about four inches in diameter. It was the prettiest snow.

    What about you? I know some of our Southern Hemisphere readers don’t have a chance of snow but what about the rest of you?
    Does having snow make it feel more like Christmas? Any chance you’ll have snow on the 25th?
    Source URL: http://violeta-diario.blogspot.com/2008/12/let-it-snow.html
    Visit violeta diario for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com